Before launching heads down in the application of various techniques to strengthen the natural referencing of a website, one must understand the purpose and purpose of the search engines.
Let’s take Google as an example, because this engine is essential if you want to be visible on the us-speaking web.
The first goal of Google is to be used by Internet users. What are its means of achieving this? (And therefore which ones made it successful?).
- Ease of use: The Google homepage is simple and sober. I type my request and leave!
- The speed of display of results: Google is certainly the fastest engine to date.
- The relevance of the results: This crucial point is the key point of the success of the engine, but it is still necessary to retain this relevance. We are interested in this subject.
In practice, millions of Seo HERO try to place their pages at the top of the results for their fetish queries. The objective of the engine is to present the results that best correspond to the search of the Internet user, and not necessarily the truffled page that the webmaster “Dupont” tries to place at any price in first place.
During the work of referencing a site, the question to be asked for the application of each technique is: how would I deal with this attempt if I was an engineer at Google.
Reminder of some basic algorithms and possibilities of a search engine:
- An engine understands text better than images. To date, Google does not differentiate photos of a centipede and a hot air balloon.
- An engine attaches importance to where a text is positioned in a page.
- An engine gives a lot of importance to titles and subtitles
- An engine gives importance to texts of links
- An engine hates what is visible to him, but not to the surfer
- An engine is less intelligent than a human, it is a simple machine, whatever the high technology it uses or the quality of its programs.
To better put you in the shoes of a search engine, tell yourself that you are blind.
- You do not see the images
- You read in Braille, so when you open a newspaper, you first read the headings, then the headlines of the articles, then the texts. The small information at the bottom of the page is often less important to you.
- You hate to write “white” if the content is black because they try to deceive you. You are not an idiot, and you know that many people will try to take advantage of your disability.
But why does Google pay so much attention to the quality of its results?
Because Google’s business model is selling advertising through business links. Google’s 2007 revenue was $ 16 billion in 2007, of which 98.9% was on sale of sponsored links. You can imagine that this cash machine will try everything to prevent you from using techniques to manipulate its search results.
The best advice that one can give you is since to make your site for Internet users, not for engines, it is a basic principle. But of course, there are methods to make your website easier to understand for users, and for engines.